profile

Volos has many points of interest for sightseeing. Some of them we present below.

UNIVERSITY OF THESSALY - PAPASTRATOS

 panepistimio The former warehouses of Papastratos, housing departments of the University of Thessaly and two conference rooms.
Ph.: M.Pornalis

ST ΚONSTANTINE AND HELEN CHURCH

 agios-konstantinos The church of St. Konstantine, built in 1936 by architect Aristotle Zachos. The elaborate architecture combined with its key position, made the church a landmark of the city.
Photo: L. Mourtzoukos

ST ΚONSTANTINE PARK

 parko-agiou-konstantinou The park is the former Square of George the 1st. It was transformed into a park in the 1920's by architect N. Kitsikis.
Photo: M.Pornalis

ACHILLIO

axilleio Achillion, the cinema, was built in 1925 according to plans by architect K. Argyris. Operation continues until today.
Photo: M.Pornalis

SAINT NICHOLAS CHURCH

 agios-nikolaos The Cathedral of the city, the first of three churches designed by the Ar. Zachos in Volos, completed in 1934. Outside the church the old bell tower was preserved, a construction of the Italian sculptor Previsan in 1884.
Photo: L. Mourtzoukos

MOUTZOURIS

trenaki Legendary Moutzouris started its journey through the enchanting paths of Pelion in 1895. The line was designed by Italian engineer Evaristo De Chirico and it is a technological breakthrough of its time. Today it continues to offer its services between Lechonia and Milies.
Pic: File DI.KI.

VOLOS RAILWAY STATION

 train-station The Railway Station building was erected in 1884, according to the aesthetics of foreign architects working at the time at the Thessalian Railways. The format remains essentially unchanged in time and a museum operates with rare footage of the history of railways in the region.
Photo: N.Koxanoglou

STATUE IN ATHENS RAILWAY STATION VOLOS

 athena-statue White marble carved with excellent detail. Constructed in 1884 by the Italian sculptor G.Previsan and placed there on the occasion of the inauguration the Thessalian Railways.
Photo: N.Koxanoglou

MUNICIPAL CONSERVATORY

 dimotiko-odeio The neoclassical building of the Volos Municipal Conservatory was founded around 1885 and has been operating since 1900 by the National Bank of Greece.
Photo: L. Mourtzoukos

GIORGIO DE CHIRICO ART CENTER

 art-center Situated right next to the building of the Municipal Conservatory. It houses the Museum Alekos K.Damtsa and an exhibition space that hosts regularly art exhibitions and selected works of the Municipal Gallery.
Photo: L. Mourtzoukos

VOLOS SEASIDE

paralia1 paralia2
Photo: L. Mourtzoukos
Photo: M.Pornalis